Charles Collis is a Director in the Corporate department in the Bermuda office of Conyers Dill & Pearman and is Head of the Bermuda Insurance Practice. Charles joined Conyers in 1990 and became a partner in 1998.
Charles specialises in insurance and reinsurance, advising on corporate and regulatory matters. Charles has advised on the establishment of numerous captive insurance companies, as well as commercial reinsurance companies. The convergence of the insurance markets and capital markets has led Charles to specialise in insurance linked securities. He has conducted a significant number of insurance securitisations and transformation transactions using special purpose vehicles, traditional reinsurance companies and segregated account companies.
– Acted for Conduit Holdings Limited on its IPO on the London Stock Exchange and the establishment of its Class 4 reinsurance subsidiary Conduit Re
– Advised the Carlyle Group on its acquisition of a majority stake in Fortitude Group Holdings, which holds the Bermuda registered Class 4 and Class E insurer, Fortitude Reinsurance Company Ltd. (“Fortitude Re”) from AI
– Advised FloodSmart Re Ltd, the first catastrophe bond sponsored by the US Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to provide reinsurance protection to the National Flood Insurance Program.
– Advised Apollo Global Management LLC, New York Stock Exchange listed investment firm, on its acquisition of Aspen Insurance Holdings.
– Advised Athene Holdings Ltd on its US$1.1 billion IPO on the New York Stock Exchange