Richard Evans is a Partner in the Litigation and Restructuring Department of Conyers Dill & Pearman in the British Virgin Islands and one of the longest established advocates in the jurisdiction.
Richard’s practice includes all contentious aspects of commercial and insolvency law. He has acted as leading advocate in numerous reported commercial disputes within the jurisdiction, frequently in those giving rise to jurisdictional issues. He is experienced in obtaining, and securing the enforcement of, or alternatively facilitating the discharge of, all forms of urgent interim relief, and works closely with international legal teams on emergency and cross border relief regularly. Richard is an expert in shareholder disputes and connected litigation, with a particular emphasis of disputes originating from Asia and Eastern Europe. In addition, Richard is frequently instructed to enforce high value awards from the world’s leading arbitration jurisdictions, and is experienced in all aspects of strategy and coordination of action to achieve maximum recovery. He is one of the few BVI litigators to have acted in a crypto currency dispute in the jurisdiction.
Richard has appeared in a number of the leading cases in BVI concerning the interpretation and operation of the Insolvency Act 2003. He has recently acted in a novel “soft touch” liquidation restructuring. He is equally at home in Court, acting as Counsel before Privy Council (in which he recently appeared in the in a leading shareholder dispute) the Court of Appeal of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court and the Commercial Court, as he is in giving timely strategic advice. He frequently appears (as lead Counsel), in the largest disputes in the Commercial Court and his reported decisions in the BVI exceed 30. Ranked in the leading directories for 14 years, clients and directories alike highlight the strategic insight that Richard brings to matters in which he is instructed, as well as his acute focus in achieving commercially valuable results in the most cost and time effective manner.
Richard is the author of numerous contributions to texts by INSOL. He is also the author of the BVI Chapter of Cross-Border Judicial Cooperation in Offshore Litigation (The British Offshore World) (first and second editions – Wildy, Simmonds and Hill Publishing) and of the BVI Chapter of the Practical Law Restructuring and Insolvency Cross-Border Handbook. In addition, he has authored numerous articles related to his areas of specialist practice.
– Acting as BVI counsel to Ziraat Bank on a new financing of US$1.65 billion to fund the redemption by Cukurova Finance International Limited (“CFI”) of security granted in favour of Alfa Telecoms Turkey Limited (“Alfa”) following a judgment of the Privy Council and in accordance with a redemption procedure approved by the Privy Council.
– Acting as BVI counsel for the Defendant in a large unfair prejudice/shareholder dispute. The underlying asset is a large hotel development in mainland PRC.
– Acting for investors in a high profile media acquisition dispute.
– Acting as BVI counsel for the majority shareholders of a Ukrainian drinks company in a long-running shareholder dispute, which has now resulted in BVI litigation. Succeeded in enforcing an LCIA arbitration award in this matter.
– Acted as BVI counsel in VTB-v-Nutritek.
– Barrister, Commercial/Chancery Bar
– Inns of Court School of Law (London), Bar Vocational Court (1993)
– University of Leeds, (LLB), first class (1992)
– Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (BVI), 2005
– Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (Anguilla), 2007
– England & Wales, 1993 (not currently practising)
Awards & Accolades
– Recognised in the 2022 edition (and since 2010) of Chambers Global (dispute resolution – Band 1)
– Recognised in the 2021 edition (and since 2011) of Legal 500 Caribbean (dispute resolution)
– Recognised in the 2020 edition (and 2019) of Global Restructuring Review 100
– Recognised in the 2018 edition (and since 2010) of Who’s Who Legal and praised for having an “astute legal mind” (asset recovery and litigation)
– Recognised in the 2015 edition of Legal Media Groups’ Expert Guides (insolvency and restructuring)
– Recognised in the 2013 edition (and since 2010) of Who’s Who Legal (insolvency and restructuring)
– Member, BVI Commercial Court Users’ Committee
– Overseas member, Chancery Bar Association (specialist bar association for leading chancery practitioners, England)
– Member, BVI Bar Association
– Committee member, BVI Bar Association Insolvency Committee
– Member, Recovery and Insolvency Specialists Association (BVI)
– Honorary member, Combar (Commercial Bar Association, England)