Julie McLean is a Director in the Bermuda office of Conyers Dill & Pearman. Julie joined Conyers in 1993 and became partner in 2002. She has a broad corporate and commercial law practice straddling aviation finance, private equity and investment funds as well as compliance and regulatory work.
Julie liaises with the local regulatory bodies on a regular basis and was a leading participant in the industry group enabling the extension by the UK to Bermuda of the Cape Town Convention. Julie regularly contributes to industry publications and is the author of the Bermuda chapters of each of Aircraft Finance (Sweet & Maxwell), Aircraft Liens and Detention Rights (Sweet & Maxwell) and Aviation Law Review.
She is recognized as a leader in her industry by Legal 500 Caribbean (corporate and commercial), Who’s Who Legal (aviation/transport), IFLR1000 and the Expert Guides: Women in Business Law.
– Liaised with BCCA to reactivate 83 bis with Azerbaijan and acted on three separate financings for aircraft to be operated by two separate Azerbaijani air operators. Aircraft included two Boeing 747-8Fs, two Boeing B787-8s and one Gulfstream G650.
– Acted in a refinancing transaction involving 20 Airbus A321-200 aircraft owned by an orphan trust structure with ECA financing.
– Advised on the establishment of an investment fund for investment through a new Bermuda special purpose insurer in a portfolio of collateralised reinsurance transactions and offer insurance-linked investments, including catastrophe bonds, industry loss warranties and insurer reinsurer debt and equity investments.
– University of British Columbia, LLB, 1992
– University of Western Ontario, B.A. History, 1989
– Bermuda, Barrister & Attorney, 1993
– Law society of British Columbia, Solicitor, 1993 (not currently practising)
Awards & Accolades
– Recognised in the 2020 edition (and since 2011) of Who’s Who Legal (Transport – Aviation (Finance))
– Recognised in the 2019 edition (and 2015, 2018) of Legal 500 Caribbean (corporate and commercial)
– Recognised in the 2015 edition of Expert Guides (aviation)
– Recognised in the 2020 edition (and since 2013) of Legal Media Groups’ Expert Guides for both Aviation and Women in Business Law
– Recognised in the 2009 edition of IFLR1000 (financial and corporate)
– Member of Executive Committee of Bermuda Zoological Society
Co-author, Bermuda chapter of Aircraft Finance (Sweet & Maxwell)
Co-author, Bermuda chapter of Aircraft Liens and Detention Rights (Sweet & Maxwell)